Re: In dire need of assistant desperate lively hood involved.

Le 28.07.2014 03:35, Stephen Pruitt a écrit :
hi i  have 2 issues i would like your help with i just installed
Debian 7 i whose using microsoft windows 7 and i back up the files on
to a USB and i would like to know how to reinstall the files.i also
tried to install a video game and it would not install when i try to
install i got a could knot auto run message could you please tell me
how to do these things

Hi.

Read this mail if you want to understand your system. Otherwise, wait for other replies :) This procedure require that you know the administrator password, but I guess you do, since you spoke about games: it must be your personal system then.

Simply plug the device, and take a look into /media. Or in /mnt, I'm not sure what is the default behavior (I have a minimalist system, by choice).

If not, then open a terminal emulator (you can probably summon it with the shortcut ALT-F2, and then write "x-terminal-emulator" in the dialog box which appeared. It works with various DEs (desktop environments) but I never tried gnome3 (the Debian default one, AFAIK)) and type "su -c mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt".

WARNING: I HAVE USED /dev/sdb1 BECAUSE I GUESSED YOU ONLY USE ONE HARD-DISK, AND NO SYSTEMD. THIS MAY BE DIFFERENT ON YOUR SYSTEM.

So, to know what your device's name is, you'll need to understand how it's built: /dev is a folder with special files which describes your hardware. Files with names starting with "sd" are files which describes SCSI disks. The SCSI part is historical, same for disk. Now I would say that sdXY files are simply for devices which provides you read and write abilities (so, not the CD-roms for example). The next part of the name, a letter, is the alphabetic number of your disk, so, 'a' is for the first disk, 'b' for the second, etc. The last part of the name, a number, is the partition number. Usually, people only have one partition on their USB devices. So, I guessed you device's name from the fact that its a rw device (sd), that you probably only have one hard-disk, so the USB will be the 2nd peripheral (b) and that it only have one partition so the one you want is the first one (1). You can have less guessed informations if you run the command "dmesg" after pluging in your device.

If this still does not work, then you probably need to install some drivers (for FAT and NTFS). The packages which provides them are "ntfs-3g" and "dosfstools". To install them, use the command "su -c apt-get install ntfs-3g dosfstools".

Now, about the game.
To install a Windows game on a different OS, you will need a program named wine, and your game may not work perfectly. Check it on their official site (http://appdb.winehq.org/). Also, AFAIK, wine does not support 64bit programs. It may be tricky, or simply work out of the box. I'm not used to wine's tricks, but to install it you'll need to do the following steps, still in a terminal: _ add the i386 architecture to your system, if you have installed the amd64 version of Debian. The command is: "su -c dpkg --add-architecture i386", then, "su -c apt-get update".
_ install wine. Command: "su -c apt-get install wine -a i386"

Now, doing any of the commands I have spoke about will alter the system. You should read some documentation about them and be sure that you understand what they does: for this, in a terminal, use the command "man" (for manual). For example: "man su".

Good luck.