Re: In dire need of assistant desperate lively hood involved.

Le 28.07.2014 11:53, berenger.morel@neutralite.org a écrit :
Le 28.07.2014 03:35, Stephen Pruitt a écrit :
hi i  have 2 issues i would like your help with i just installed
Debian 7 i whose using microsoft windows 7 and i back up the files on
to a USB and i would like to know how to reinstall the files.i also
tried to install a video game and it would not install when i try to
install i got a could knot auto run message could you please tell me
how to do these things

Hi.

Read this mail if you want to understand your system. Otherwise, wait
for other replies :)
This procedure require that you know the administrator password, but
I guess you do, since you spoke about games: it must be your personal
system then.

Simply plug the device, and take a look into /media. Or in /mnt, I'm
not sure what is the default behavior (I have a minimalist system, by
choice).

If not, then open a terminal emulator (you can probably summon it
with the shortcut ALT-F2, and then write "x-terminal-emulator" in the
dialog box which appeared. It works with various DEs (desktop
environments) but I never tried gnome3 (the Debian default one,
AFAIK)) and type "su -c mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt".

WARNING: I HAVE USED /dev/sdb1 BECAUSE I GUESSED YOU ONLY USE ONE
HARD-DISK, AND NO SYSTEMD. THIS MAY BE DIFFERENT ON YOUR SYSTEM.

So, to know what your device's name is, you'll need to understand how
it's built: /dev is a folder with special files which describes your
hardware.
Files with names starting with "sd" are files which describes SCSI
disks. The SCSI part is historical, same for disk. Now I would say
that sdXY files are simply for devices which provides you read and
write abilities (so, not the CD-roms for example).
The next part of the name, a letter, is the alphabetic number of your
disk, so, 'a' is for the first disk, 'b' for the second, etc.
The last part of the name, a number, is the partition number.
Usually, people only have one partition on their USB devices.
So, I guessed you device's name from the fact that its a rw device
(sd), that you probably only have one hard-disk, so the USB will be
the 2nd peripheral (b) and that it only have one partition so the one
you want is the first one (1).
You can have less guessed informations if you run the command "dmesg"
after pluging in your device.

If this still does not work, then you probably need to install some
drivers (for FAT and NTFS). The packages which provides them are
"ntfs-3g" and "dosfstools". To install them, use the command "su -c
apt-get install ntfs-3g dosfstools".

Now, about the game.
To install a Windows game on a different OS, you will need a program
named wine, and your game may not work perfectly. Check it on their
official site (http://appdb.winehq.org/). Also, AFAIK, wine does not
support 64bit programs.
It may be tricky, or simply work out of the box. I'm not used to
wine's tricks, but to install it you'll need to do the following
steps, still in a terminal:
_ add the i386 architecture to your system, if you have installed the
amd64 version of Debian. The command is: "su -c dpkg
--add-architecture i386", then, "su -c apt-get update".
_ install wine. Command: "su -c apt-get install wine -a i386"

Now, doing any of the commands I have spoke about will alter the
system. You should read some documentation about them and be sure that
you understand what they does: for this, in a terminal, use the
command "man" (for manual). For example: "man su".

Good luck.

BTW, forgot to give some pointers on useful informations and tips about how to write your questions for more help.

About file organization: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

And about how to write your questions:
People here are volunteers. We are not paid to reply, we just want to help others. So, you will never have one people dedicated to you (which is what I have understood about your title), simply people which will try to help at a moment, if they can. Also, try to take some time to use punctuation, and do some efforts in writing. I do not say I master English or that you need to, but this list is an international one, and people for which English is not their main language (as I) might have hard time to understand you. For example, the lack of punctuation plus a typo in your first phrase made me thinking more than 2 minutes to understand this "hi i  have 2 issues i would like your help with i just installed Debian 7 i whose using microsoft windows 7 and i back up the files on to a USB and i would like to know how to reinstall the files."
If you had written it like this:
Hi, I  have 2 issues i would like your help with.
I just installed Debian 7. I was using microsoft windows 7 and I back up the files on to a USB. I would like to know how to reinstall the files.
I would have understood immediately. Just splitting the phrase using punctuation and line breaks makes it far more understandable. For non native English speakers, but probably for natives too (I have a lot of problems when I have to read people which do not use punctuation correctly, in both my French native language and in English).
Even if there were English errors.

I hope you won't be hurt by this message, it's only advices to ease people understand you quickly, and people are more likely to help when they can understand quickly the problem.