Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

Am 27.07.2014 00:26, schrieb Rick Thomas:

> On Jul 25, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> So a future update of systemd will slightly change this behaviour:
>> whenever there is a service that failed or takes longer then a certain
>> threshold (iirc it's something like 5 secs), systemd will automatically
>> switch into verbose mode
>
> Would it be possible to make the switch to verbose mode be “retroactive” in the sense that it not only shows all messages from the moment of the failure on — it also shows all the messages that lead up to the failure?
>
> This would require buffering up all messages, just in case there is a failure and they need to be displayed, but IIUC this is being done anyway.

I think the answer to that is the journal.

If you want to inspect everything from the beginning of the boot, you
can just use journalctl -b.
I think it would be quite confusing if systemd would suddenly display a
whole bunch of messages which would all fly by immediately without a
chance to read them.

universe are pointed away from Earth?