Re: [SOLVED] Re: inserting kernel modules on startup

Am 24.07.2014 21:45, schrieb Gary Dale:
> On 24/07/14 03:05 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2014-07-24 20:42 +0200, Gary Dale wrote:
>>
>>> I think you missed the point. The blacklist was in fglrx.conf where it
>>> makes sense to not load the radeon module if I'm loading the fglrx
>>> proprietary one. Again, this was necessary back when I was playing
>>> around with the fglrx driver. I would have expected the system to only
>>> parse the .conf files of modules it was loading.
>> Files under /etc/modprobe.d do not necessarily "belong" to any modules,
>> so this is not possible.  Any file there whose name ends in ".conf" will
>> be parsed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>         Sven
> Sorry but that doesn't make much sense to me. The files I have in
> /etc/modprobe.d all look like they belong to kernel modules. Moreover,
> the directory is related to modules.

It is like Sven says.
When you run modprobe, it will parse /etc/modprobe.conf and all files in
/etc/modprobe.d/ ending with .conf
It doesn't really matter how they are named.

So you could have named fglrx.conf foo.conf, that wouldn't have made a
difference.

So, after dropping the blacklist, you can also drop "radeon" from
/etc/modules. As already mentioned it will be autoloaded by udev.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?