Re: [SOLVED] Re: inserting kernel modules on startup

On 2014-07-24 19:49 +0200, Gary Dale wrote:

> OK, that did it. Removing /etc/modprobe.d/fglrx.conf allowed the
> radeon kernel module to load.

You don't need to list it in /etc/modules anymore then, since udev will
load it automatically for you.

> I have no idea why this just started
> happening. I would have thought that a blacklist in a module that
> wasn't being used would be ignored, as seems to have been the case up
> to very recently.

I'm not sure if I can parse that sentence correctly, but the difference
to a sysvinit setup is that the kmod initscript runs modprobe without
the "-b" parameter (thus ignoring the blacklist), while
systemd-modules-load will not load blacklisted modules.

Blacklisting a module that would be autoloaded by udev, only to load it
via /etc/modules anyway, seems rather illogical.  So the systemd
behavior at least forced you to fix your setup. ;-)

Cheers,
       Sven