Re: systemd waisted 5 hours of my work time today

On 20140724_1411+0100, Brian wrote:
> On Thu 24 Jul 2014 at 14:24:36 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
>
> > On 24 July 2014 14:00, Tom Furie <tom@furie.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I am aware of that and has been using testing/sid for about 13 years now.
> > I have never experienced anything like this.
>
> You are now. :)
>
> Look on the bright side; the BTS came to the rescue.

I've been using Debian since the time of Y2K. From the beginning I
believed that running testing was a path to advancement as a
programmer or sysadmin. I thought I might study Debian by using the
testing distribution, but I never made much progress on this path.

Over the years I have developed little tricks to smooth over the
inevitable rough times in the transition to a new release. This time
is different. Before, when I sensed that a pre-release freeze was
immanent I would dist-upgrade to testing so that I would already be
using the new packages at the moment of official release. Now I have
little confidence in this strategy, and instead I am hoping to survive
the chaos by sticking with Wheezy until that happy future time when
everyone using Jessie is happily singing its praise. But when the time
comes for me to leave Wheezy behind, Jessie may very well be old and
nearing replacement. In which case, dist-upgrade to the testing
release of that future time may not be possible without intermediate
steps, and the transition will be by way of a full backup to external
HD followed by a clean install of whatever makes the most sense at
that future time. To that end, I am doing practice installs using a
second computer as an Approx proxy repository. I'm getting pretty good
at it. Well, maybe not by other people's standards, but much better
than the first time.

I suggest that people who complain about testing/Jessie being unusable
for days on end, figure out how to modify their behavior to better
conform to the current reality. Everybody running testing should have
an interest in some day becoming a Debian developer, whatever their
current skill level is today. And maybe even some who do have such a
goal should step aside for a while to lessen the burden on the
developers to hand-hold them. These are tough times.

Best regards to all,

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net