Re: systemd waisted 5 hours of my work time today

On Thu 24 Jul 2014 at 09:59:36 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

[A little snip]

> Over the years I have developed little tricks to smooth over the
> inevitable rough times in the transition to a new release. This time
> is different. Before, when I sensed that a pre-release freeze was
> immanent I would dist-upgrade to testing so that I would already be
> using the new packages at the moment of official release.

I think that is still a good plan; November 2014 would be a good time to
think of implementing it.

>                                                           Now I have
> little confidence in this strategy, and instead I am hoping to survive
> the chaos by sticking with Wheezy until that happy future time when
> everyone using Jessie is happily singing its praise.

Be resolute! Be bold! Plan ahead with November in mind. Read

   https://lists.debian.org/87mwc9gfsw.fsf@xoog.err.no

very, very carefully. If it is important to you keep an eye on what is
happening in the systemd-shim world.

>                                                      But when the time
> comes for me to leave Wheezy behind, Jessie may very well be old and
> nearing replacement. In which case, dist-upgrade to the testing
> release of that future time may not be possible without intermediate
> steps, and the transition will be by way of a full backup to external
> HD followed by a clean install of whatever makes the most sense at
> that future time.

Deep down you feel this isn't a good idea. Go with your experience and
instinct. November is forecast to be a good month for you. :)