Re: /var partition seems locked or read only

Am 23. Jul, 2014 schwätzte berenger.morel@neutralite.org so:

moin moin,

does /proc/mounts show /var/ as still being mounted rw?

Do you have large open files that have been removed? The filesystem will
show those as free space, but until the proceses holding the files open
have been stopped the disk space has not been freed.

If you had an aptitude run have problems check for old aptitude and dpkg
processes.

When aptitude has trouble downloading packages it should not try to
install them until they've been downloaded properly. Back in the day, I
would start an apt-get download and let it run all night on the modem
connection, then kill it in the morning. Then I would start it again the
next night and so on until all of the packages had downloaded properly.

Running out of space during package install can cause problems.

ciao,

der.hans

Hello.

On a distant Debian testing/unstable, it seems that the /var partition can no longer be written: even "# touch /var/test" returns a message saying that there is no space on the drive, which is something that "# df -h" deny:

# df -h
Sys. de fichiers Taille Utilisé Dispo Uti% Monté sur
/dev/sda3          9,1G    954M  7,7G  11% /
udev                10M       0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs              397M    384K  396M   1% /run
tmpfs              5,0M       0  5,0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs              2,7G       0  2,7G   0% /run/shm
/dev/sda2          4,4G     27M  4,4G   1% /boot
/dev/sda5           38G     22G   16G  58% /home
/dev/sda7          447M     17K  423M   1% /tmp
/dev/sda6           14G    2,7G  8,7G  24% /var

So, I am guessing that something is locking the partition, but I have no idea about *what* could do that. I tried disabling as many daemons that I can, so that "# service --status-all |grep '+'" returns this:

# service --status-all |grep '+'
[ ? ]  bootmisc.sh
[ ? ]  checkfs.sh
[ ? ]  checkroot-bootclean.sh
[ ? ]  hwclock.sh
[ ? ]  ircd-irc2
[ ? ]  killprocs
[ ? ]  kmod
[ ? ]  mountall-bootclean.sh
[ ? ]  mountall.sh
[ ? ]  mountdevsubfs.sh
[ ? ]  mountkernfs.sh
[ ? ]  mountnfs-bootclean.sh
[ ? ]  mountnfs.sh
[ ? ]  networking
[ ? ]  rc.local
[ + ]  rsyslog
[ ? ]  sendsigs
[ + ]  ssh
[ + ]  udev
[ ? ]  udev-finish
[ ? ]  umountfs
[ ? ]  umountnfs.sh
[ ? ]  umountroot

but it changes nothing. Any idea/supposition/whatever?

Some other informations which might help:
The problem started with a network failure, which avoided aptitude to download, and so update, some packages, and now some packages are broken (but dpkg was not concerned by the update). If I can still trust /var/lib/dpkg/status, it seems that the most important breakage may come from libasan0 (Status: install reinstreq half-configured) which is needed by libgcc-4.8-dev, itself needed by linux-headers, so I do not think it is the source of the problem, but... maybe?

According to /etc/mtab, the var partition is mounted as rw: "/dev/sda6 /var ext4 rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered 0 0".