Re: /var partition seems locked or read only

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 09:59:26AM -0700, der.hans wrote:

||  Am 23. Jul, 2014 schwätzte berenger.morel@neutralite.org so:
||  moin moin,
||  does /proc/mounts show /var/ as still being mounted rw?

That would cause EROFS (Read-only file system), not ENOSPC (No space
left on device).

||  Do you have large open files that have been removed? The filesystem will
||  show those as free space, but until the proceses holding the files open
||  have been stopped the disk space has not been freed.

This looks most probable to me. Try this:

    lsof | grep 'DEL.*var'

It will show you processes that have deleted files still open. Your
multi-gigabyte file in /var should be among them. Killing that process
reclaims the disk space.

||  >On a distant Debian testing/unstable, it seems that the /var
||  >partition can no longer be written: even "# touch /var/test"
||  >returns a message saying that there is no space on the drive,
||  >which is something that "# df -h" deny:

Ciao.
Vincent.
--
Vincent Zweije <vincent@zweije.nl>   | "If you're flamed in a group you