Re: How to add package sources?

On Vi, 18 iul 14, 13:32:19, Bob Holtzman wrote:

> deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
>
> is already in sources, a simple switch from debian.org to debian.net is
> all that's required. True?

The security archive is handled specially and even http.debian.net
recommends to not rely on third-party mirrors.

> To recap and make *damned* sure I understand,
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main non-free contrib
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main contrib
> non-free
>
> are replaced with
>
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian stable main contrib non-free(http
> twice? doesn't look right)

Because it isn't. 'wheezy' and 'wheezy-updates' are two different
suites[1].

[1] terminology used in sources.list(5)

> and the security and backports archives are unchanged except for the
> switch to debian.net.

No, don't do that.

Let me try to explain: Debian has several suites that are relevant for a
stable release. They can be identified based on the URL and the third
component of a sources.list stanza

deb http://mirror.example.com/whatever/ codename main
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^

This is the archive that holds all regular packages. Any Debian
installation connected to the internet should have this in sources.list,
to be able to install new packages and update to the latest point
release.

There are a few hundred mirrors all around the world providing this.
Traditionally one would use a specific mirror directly (e.g. one
geographically close to you). If you use the
ftp.<your country code>.debian.org "mirror" you might actually be
pointed to a different physical mirror every time, like is the case with
ftp.us.debian.org.

deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main
(optionally 'contrib' and 'non-free' if you use them)

This is the security archive, used to publish urgent security updates.
It's hosted on several Debian machines all around the worlds. Mirroring
it is discouraged and even if you do want to use a mirror, *always* keep
the canonical entry in your sources.list, as a backup (the mirror might
get stale).

Most packages initially published through the security archive will be
included in the next point release.

deb http://mirror.example.com/whatever wheezy-updates main
(optionally 'contrib' and 'non-free' if you use them)

This is the stable-updates suite, former volatile. It contains packages
that might need frequent updates to function properly, but these updates
are not security related. It currently contains 24 packages of limited
interest to most users.

To use it you add one additional entry same as your regular archive, but
replace 'wheezy' with 'wheezy-updates'. Most mirrors will probably carry
this suite as well and the http redirector below should therefore
support is as well.

http.debian.net (mind the .net instead of .org) is a relatively new
service, that uses a clever algorithm to redirect you to a mirror that
is: fast, close to you, up to date, etc. It uses .net because it's not
hosted on a Debian machine, but it's still provided by someone "close"
to Debian (in this case a Debian Member).

Because of all the above I would suggest you edit your sources.list to
look like this (indenting for visibility only):

    # regular Debian archive
    # (append 'contrib' and 'non-free' if you need them)
    deb http://http.debian.net/debian/ wheezy main

    # the security archive
    # (append 'contrib' and 'non-free' if you need them)
    deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main

Please note that I specifically use the release codename. Using 'stable'
instead is possible, but will have "interesting" results if you upgrade
after Jessie is released.

Kind regards,
Andrei