Re: is this sensible?

On 2014-07-08 02:07:25 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 30 iun 14, 14:47:23, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > A program cannot guess what the user has in mind, but there are
> > choices that are obviously more sensible than others, such as
> > upgrading a package instead of removing it. Sometimes aptitude
> > wants to remove hundreds of packages, which is obviously not the
> > right solution.
>
> A workaround that seems to be working fine so far:
>
> // tweak Aptitude to not suggest removals as first option
> Aptitude::ProblemResolver::SolutionCost "removals";

Yes, thanks, it solves the problem with removals. However it has
a drawback: its resolution discards some valid upgrades, as shown
below.

Currently, if I use 'U' to upgrade, various packages, including
appstream-index, are proposed for upgrade, but there are some broken
packages. Then, after typing 'g', aptitude proposes to keep every
package, including appstream-index (so, nothing to be upgraded). But
I can type '+' on appstream-index to upgrade it (no packages removed,
just libappstream1 added as a dependency).

The problem seems to be caused by a versioned Recommends. I've
reported the bug here: