Using xfce4-power-manager with dwm

The laptop can suspend and resume without issue when I run a plain vanilla Xfce session (started with "Xfce session" from the lightdm login screen). However, I don't want to run an entire Xfce desktop environment; I want to use dwm but use xfce4-power-manager to manage suspend and resume. I am using Debian 7, stable.

I have an .xsession that looks like:

---- .xsession ----
#!/bin/bash
xrdb -merge .Xresources

if [ -x /usr/bin/xfce4-power-manager ];
then
   xfce4-power-manager &
fi

$HOME/share/bin/dwm
-----

I use lightdm to log in and select "default x session." The dwm starts up as expected. xfce4-power-manager also starts up (I can see notifications in the top right of the screen when I plug or unplug the laptop). If I close the lid, the laptop will not suspend (the fan is still running). When I open the lid, the screen gets brighter and blinks, but I dont see the desktop. I see the xfce4-power-manager notification pop up and then see nothing else. I can't get back to the desktop and need to log into a virtual console to restart the laptop.

So, when xfce is running as a regular session, suspend and resume works. Something with how I am running it from .xsession with dwm is not working. Anyone have any ideas?