Re: building .debs with "+b1" on the end

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 21:08:32 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2014-07-07 20:51 +0200, Brian Sammon wrote:
>
> > So I would have to install/learn "sbuild".
>
> If you just want to rebuild packages locally, this is not really
> necessary.

Are you saying there's another way to do what I want to do?  Or are you saying that the thing I think I want to do is maybe not really what I want to do?

> Why do you want to rebuild the packages in the first place, and do you
> want your local packages to be replaced by newer versions in the
> archive?

Well...the problem that I was trying to solve that prompted this question, has morphed into a different problem.  If I decide to ask for help with that, I'll start another thread.  But I thought this "+b1" technique might be useful in the future.

In general, the situation is something like:  I have an unsupported (by debian) ARMv7/armhf device with an unsupported (by Debian) kernel on it, and I wanted to run version X of package Foo that I downloaded from archive.debian.org.  Later versions of package Foo have new features I don't like.  I found a armhf binary of version X, but it wouldn't run, so I thought I'd see if rebuilding it from the source packages would help.  It did -- the program runs now, but as it turns out that didn't solve my entire problem.

Now my rebuilt version of package Foo -- that seems like exactly the right time to use a "+b1" version numbering trick.  If it's not more trouble than it's worth.