Re: building .debs with "+b1" on the end

On 2014-07-07 20:51 +0200, Brian Sammon wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 15:55:22 +0100
> Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> Packages in the archive with a "+bN" version suffix, such as "+b1", have be
>> 'binNMUd': essentially rebuilt without any source changes because the
>> environment has changed (such as a version bump of a library dependency).
>
> Ah!  Thank you!  "binNMU" is the magic word.
>
> Found the following in google:
> https://wiki.debian.org/binNMU
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man1/sbuild.1.html
>
> So I would have to install/learn "sbuild".

If you just want to rebuild packages locally, this is not really
necessary.

>> In your case it would be worthwhile documenting the fact your package diffe
>> from the archive anyway; so I'd recommend just adding a new changelog stanz
>
> I was wrong, it turns out that binNMUs _do_ (usually) add a changelog
> entry, but it's a sort of ephemeral entry (e.g. the changelog entry
> for 2.12-1+b2 won't show in the changelog for 2.12-2 because it
> doesn't go into the source package)

Right, the entry only ends up in the binary packages and you can see it
in /usr/share/doc/<package>, but packages.debian.org uses
debian/changelog from the source package, so you won't find it there.

Why do you want to rebuild the packages in the first place, and do you
want your local packages to be replaced by newer versions in the
archive?

Cheers,
       Sven