Re: Learning package building - tutorial issue

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 03:12:28PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 09:58:14PM +0200, Linux-Fan wrote:
> > I found a much simpler solution: Your `debian/compat` file is called
> > `debian/compact` (with an additional ``c''). Just rename it to `compat`
> > (without the second ``c'') and the problem fixes itself.
>
> So the makefile was OK after all?

Yes. A long time ago, debian packages would have their file trees constructed
at debian/tmp, prior to being tarred up for inclusion in the binary .deb. This
wasn't great for source packages which built multiple binary packages, so now
the helper tools use debian/<binarypackagename>. The "compat" file determines
what behaviour level debhelper(1) uses (the most prominent debian build helper
tool). Without it being present, debhelper reverts to an old compatibility
version.

These sort of questions are best asked on the Debian Mentors mailing list
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org