Re: Multimedia player for video filte type qs

On 07/07/2014, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:

<snip>

>> And, I have found that vlc (running on Debian 6), has a problem with
>> some of the files, in that the output for some of the files, as with
>> the output for mplayer, is choppy (if that is the correct term),
>> meaning that it will play a little bit, then stop, then play a little
>> bit more, a bit like the reproduction from the movie projectors from
>> the days of the silent movies, when output was also, not flowing.
>
> Different players use different codec libraries.  And in Debian things
> are more confused because of the fork between ffmpeg and libav.
> Debian chose the libav fork.  In hindsight that was probably a bad
> choice and I think we would be better off with ffmpeg instead.
>
> In the end it means that every player is slightly different.  It is
> all related to the file encoding.  Some work great and others don't
> work so well.  (shrug)
>
> Bob

The interesting thing, is that movies, with the same resolution
(720x576) and same frame rate (50fps) and with Slaughterhouse Five
having audio sample rate 48kHz and bitrate 256kb/s, and Prisoners Of
The Lost Universe having the same data, except with bitrate 160kb/s,
play okay; flowingly, but a movie (and, it is not the only one) such
as The Beguiled, with the same data as Slaughterhouse Five, plays in a
choppy way.

So, in vlc, the Tools -> Codec Details for Streams 0 and 1 (Video and
Audio), do not show a difference that easily shows to me, why the vlc
is unable to play a movie such as The Beguiled, as flowingly as other
movies such as Slaughterhouse Five.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale