Re: Multimedia player for video filte type qs

On 06/07/2014, ken <gebser@mousecar.com> wrote:
> On 07/06/2014 06:32 AM Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Lu, 16 iun 14, 15:38:09, Bret Busby wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I wonder whether a multimedia player for the video filteype .qs exists
>>> for Debian Linux.
>>
>> Just for the archives, the file extension is a poor indicator of the
>> file type and was originally meant more as information for humans.
>> Fortunately smart programs (like mplayer or vlc) don't rely much on it.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andrei
>>

> Yes, the 'file' utility is a much better indicator of the file type
> ("file filename.ext").  I haven't seen it written anywhere, but believe
> that the same capability is built into the shell, at least into bash.

:~$ file /media/Lexar/QS_Files/20140610_004549_[2_ABC1]_[Slaughterhouse-Five].qs
/media/Lexar/QS_Files/20140610_004549_[2_ABC1]_[Slaughterhouse-Five].qs: data

So, what information does that give us, that is useful for finding
software to view the file type qs ?

Microsoft Word woth the proprietary .docx extension, would also
probably show as data, but, I doubt that mplayer, or vlc, or totem,
would work with that .docx filetype.

The above output for the file command was previously posted in the
thread, so I do not see the point in the last two postings in the
thread.

And, I have found that vlc (running on Debian 6), has a problem with
some of the files, in that the output for some of the files, as with
the output for mplayer, is choppy (if that is the correct term),
meaning that it will play a little bit, then stop, then play a little
bit more, a bit like the reproduction from the movie projectors from
the days of the silent movies, when output was also, not flowing.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."