Re: Tell Debian to use local time?

On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 04:10:06PM -0500, Nelson Green wrote:
> (Added inadvertently omitted subject)
>
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
>
> > Le 05/07/2014 21:38, Nelson Green a écrit :
> > > Good afternoon,
> > >
> > > This morning I had the mis-fortune of creating a dual-boot system with
> > > Debian on
> > > a machine that already had windows installed on. I installed a second
> > hard
> > > drive, installed Debian, and almost everything works. But I apparently
> > > told the
> > > installer that the system clock is set to UTC, when it is not (because
> > > windows
> > > has no real concept of time).
> > >
> > > So when I boot to windows the displayed time is the actual local time,
> > > but when
> > > I boot into Debian the displayed time is four hours behind local time.
> > > If I do a
> > > date -u the time that is displayed is the correct local time.
> > >
> > > I have modified /etc/adjtime and removed the UTC line, but every time
> > > I boot up
> > > Debian the line re-appears, and the displayed time is still four hours
> > > behind.
> > > So how do I tell the Debian system that the hardware clock is set to
> > > local time
> > > in an effort to compensate for the lessor system's inability to
> > > correctly manage
> > > time?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Nelson
> >
> > You can tell windows to use UTC internally (while still displaying local
> > time)
> > see
> >
> > http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/2000/Q_21805674.html
> >

> Thanks Erwan, but I am afraid I have to leave the windows installation
> alone.
> Fortunately I rarely have to mess with windows, and as a general rule I
> don't
> lower my standards to theirs, but in this case I have no choice, at least
> until
> we can eliminate windows from the equation completely.

dpkg-reconfigure -plow tzdata

as root which will allow you to set the global timezone data for your machine.

That way you don't necessarily have to adjust adjtime and can choose which timezone you're in which will
also sort out the DST "stuff".

Reset the clock using the date command to set the time.

date --set=070511352013

Then run

hwclock --systohc

to set the time in the hardware clock which should then be correct for Windows and Linux.

Myself, I keep computers set to UTC all year round.

AndyC