Re: Screen size trouble with Xorg

On Lu, 16 iun 14, 08:03:56, Mike Bailey wrote:
> Hello all,
> Last week I bought myself a new monitor to replace my old 24" monitor. The
> new monitor is a Samsung S27C500, which is connected via hdmi. The monitor
> has two inputs: one hdmi, and one vga. I do not have a VGA input on my video
> card, so I use the hdmi connector. The monitor did not include a vga-to-dvi
> adapter.
>
> When replacing my old monitor, i used the the aticonfig utility to generate
> a new xorg.conf as I've done in the past, and while the monitor was usable,
> I am stuck with a problem where the screen size is limited to about the size
> of my old 24" monitor, with black space surrounding the entire usable
> screen.

[...]

> Links to my configs:
>
> xrandr --prop: http://paste2.org/m8gpIbss
> xorg.conf: http://paste2.org/hmIJVWJ0 (monitor block comes from parse-edid)
> xorg.0.log: http://paste2.org/GXNpZpB3

Why use a pastebin if you're not going to include the entire contents.
Besides, attaching the file would have made your message self-contained.

> lspci block for video card: http://paste2.org/KLNPJnvn
>
> I notice two things in my xorg.0.log:
>
> [254760.941] (II) fglrx(0): Using hsync ranges from config file
> [254760.941] (II) fglrx(0): Using vrefresh ranges from config file

I'd try with a minimal xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "WhatEver"
	Driver      "fglrx"
EndSection

or even *no* xorg.conf and the radeon driver. Please mind fglrx might be
blacklisting the necessary radeon kernel module (at least nvidia has to
with nouveau), so it might not work without a few tweaks.

Kind regards,
Andrei