Re: How to make preseed.cfg available in no-internet install?

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Sat 05 Jul 2014 at 11:01:34 -0700, Kynn Jones wrote:

> I already know one way to do it (which I described in my first post),
> but it is laborious and error-prone.

One extra step after booting d-i! ..

Perhaps I should have explained in my original post that I'm trying to test/debug/troubleshoot/tweak my preseed.cfg file, so I want to be able to run through the install-inspect/test-edit cycle as quickly and painlessly as possible.

> Basically, I'm looking for a convenient way to tell the Debian
> installer:
>
>   1. mount /dev/sdb1 (with -t vfat), and look for a preseeds file
>   called preseed.cfg at the root directory of the mounted volume;

It can be done but not with a netinst image or CD-1. The method is
outlined in this thread.

Thanks!  It looks like something I could at least stick in a script.

Searching for "initrd cpio preseed.cfg" I found this page, which spells out the whole process in detail:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed/EditIso

>   2. use the settings priority=critical auto=true

Is "auto=true" an absolute requirement? Why?

That's "cargo-cult" on my part, I confess.  I don't quite understand why it's there, and was not able to find a sufficiently clear explanation of what it's supposed to do.  I've basically kept it because it works.  (I probably would have already tested whether I need it or not if it weren't because debugging the installation process is so slow.)