Re: How to make preseed.cfg available in no-internet install?

On Fri 04 Jul 2014 at 15:17:14 -0400, Kynn Jones wrote:

> In an installation from CD (or, second best: USB stick) with no internet
> access, how can I make a preseed.cfg file available to the Debian installer
> as early as possible in the install sequence?
>
> The preseed.cfg originally lives in a separate USB stick.  (I don't want to
> burn the preseed.cfg into the installation CD, since I still want to be
> able to tweak it easily.)

Not having the preseed file in the initrd rules out making a preseed.cfg
file available earlier than you aleady do.

> I found one approach, but it's laborious enough to make using a preseed.cfg
> hardly worth it.  Basically, I hit TAB to edit the Graphic Install menu
> option; I add priority=critical auto=true
> file=/unavailable/path/to/preseed.cfg; I hit enter and let the installer
> fail to find the preseed.cfg file; I get a shell and do

Even with file=/path/to/preseed.cfg the installer will fail to find the
file anyway because the device it is on has to be mounted. This you do
below.

>   mkdir /mnt/usb &&
>   mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb &&
>   exit
>
> Then I select to re-read the preseed.cfg file from the installer's menu.

What problem are you trying to solve?