Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?

On Mon 30 Jun 2014 at 13:42:51 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri 27 Jun 2014 at 13:40:48 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> >> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:34:54 -0400
> >> Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> functional, graphical boots, framebuffer boots, enforced GUI login just
> >> get in the way.
> >>
> >> Plymouth sux!
> >
> > Plymouth can be disabled at boot time by removing "splash" from the
> > kernel command line. Removing "quiet" may also be a good thing. I hope
> > this technical information helps you if you ever go back to Ubuntu.
>
> KMS and grub give you a framebuffer boot on Debian...
>
> Removing "splash" disables the bootsplash but it doesn't disable
> plymouth. With upstart, plymouth is the interface for fscking or
> decrypting a partition.

Oh! I've never used Ubuntu in anger and thought the appearence of boot
messages meant it was disabled. Mind you, I only spent seven minutes on
it, unlike Steve Litt's seven years. And I've no axe to grind.

I had got the impression that upstart and plymouth are intimately
connected but didn't look any further. Thank you for taking the time to
clarify the situation.