Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 6:01 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 June 2014 01:31:50 Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>> The whole reason I'm switching from Xubuntu to Debian is to get away
>> from both Plymouth and *dm.
>
> I hadn't heard of Plymouth. I just googled it and blanched. Thanks for the
> heads up, Steve! One more reason why I shall avoid *buntu. :-(

(The regular sniping at Ubuntu on this list reflects badly on Debian
users in general and on this list's users in particular...)

There's a lot of crap on the internet about plymouth.

Ubuntu defaulted to both plymouth and kms with 10.04 and because one
of plymouth's roles is to provide a bootsplash it was blamed for the
lack of a pure text console or for video boot problems.

There were some purely plymouth problems (for example, it initially
wouldn't display a progress bar when a partition was being fsck'd) but
the whole anti-plymouth thing is very much overdone.