Re: is this sensible?

Le 25.06.2014 11:51, François Patte a écrit :

Le 25/06/2014 11:01, Weaver a écrit :

On Wed, June 25, 2014 1:57 am, François Patte wrote:

Le 25/06/2014 10:49, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
On Wednesday 25 June 2014 09:32:22 François Patte wrote:
I wanted to update my gthumb package (wich became ugly for an
 unknown reason....). So I asked:

apt-get install gthumb

Before installing anything, always update. This is what the
machine is actually trying to do.

Update, so that everything is current, then install the required
package immediately, and you won't have that trouble. Cheers!

The problem is: why do I have to install, for instance,  gcc-4.9-base
gcc-4.9-base:i386  (I don't want to compile anything...)

why do I have to install these xserver:

  xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse
  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati
  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
xserver-xorg-video-intel
  xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga
  xserver-xorg-video-modesetting xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
  xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128
  xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-savage
  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
  xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident
xserver-xorg-video-vesa
  xserver-xorg-video-vmware

I have an nvidia graphic card, so, if needed "nouveau" but I use the
proprietary driver...

Why should I install systemd?

etc. etc.

I just wanted to work with gthumb, but it was broken by a preceeding
update....

I waste more time to recover a system than to work....

This is the problem with non interactive tools: if you do not master the non interactive tool, you do not have real control on it.

I have learn a lot of things because I used aptitude with it's ncurses interface. It features a preview mode, in which you can see why things are done. With this knowledge, you will be able to customize the behavior made by your update.