Re: is this sensible?

 Hi.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:51:17AM +0200, François Patte wrote:

> The problem is: why do I have to install, for instance,  gcc-4.9-base
> gcc-4.9-base:i386  (I don't want to compile anything...)

These packages contain 'files common to all languages and libraries
 contained in the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)'. Basically, you build
something with gcc-4.9 = you have to install gcc-4.9-base. This is just
the part of upgrade process.

> why do I have to install these xserver:
>
>   xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-mouse
>   xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
>   xserver-xorg-input-wacom xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-ati
>   xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
> xserver-xorg-video-intel
>   xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga
>   xserver-xorg-video-modesetting xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
>   xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nvidia
>   xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128
>   xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-savage
>   xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sisusb
>   xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-trident
> xserver-xorg-video-vesa
>   xserver-xorg-video-vmware

Same thing. xserver wants you to upgrade it.

> Why should I install systemd?

You have modemmanager and network-manager installed. Recent versions of
these packages 'depend' (such dependency can be avoided) on systemd.
This topic was discussed in great detail several times on this list
recently.

> etc. etc.
>
> I just wanted to work with gthumb, but it was broken by a preceeding
> update....

Try using:

apt-get install --no-upgrade gthumb

Reco