Re: raid/mdadm help

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 04:22:24AM +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:03:54 -0400
> "Rodney D. Myers" <rod_myers@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> > Yes, see reply from Francois Patte
>
> Then kick off the 500GB HD and stay with 3 HDz; of course,
> you won't have no spare, but in this case it's almost
> useless (if you plan to stock a lot of data).
>
> Also, depending on what you plan to use your RAID array for,
> considering a RAID-1 array would be better (if you plan to
> put databases or any data that need very fast I/Oz).

Alternatively, if you're willing to try some experimental (but
reasonably stable) software, btrfs will quite happily RAID over
mis-matched devices.

According to http://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/index.html, RAID-5 will
allow for 3.1TB of data (assuming 1 copy of the data and 1 parity
stripe - remember that btrfs can self-heal in that situation)