Re: is this sensible?

On Wednesday 25 June 2014 09:57:04 François Patte wrote:
> Le 25/06/2014 10:49, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
> > On Wednesday 25 June 2014 09:32:22 François Patte wrote:
> >> I wanted to update my gthumb package (wich became ugly for an
> >> unknown reason....). So I asked:
> >>
> >> apt-get install gthumb
> >
> > If you just want to update, why are you installing?
>
> man apt-get:

That doesn't explain it.  It explains how to install.  But you say that you
want to upgrade it:

# apt-get update
# apt-get -u upgrade

<quote>
aptitude update (or apt-get update, see apt-get) to update apt's internal
database of available packages

aptitude safe-upgrade (or apt-get -u upgrade) to bring all currently installed
packages up to date
</quote>
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement

I would then probably do full-upgrade on aptitude, but that would do more, and
I do not have experience of apt-get dist-upgrade, which I believe is the
equivalent.

Lisi