Re: Progress on my new Debian box

Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 04:34:00 +1000
> Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

>> There have been very heavy torture tests on thew newer range of SSDs
>> and they are performing exceptionally well with mega data being
>> written [1], up to fairly heavy data usage levels.

>> [1]
>> http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/continuing-Tech-Report-SSD-torture-test

> There's another SSD limitation: Deleted sections (I don't know the
> official unit) don't necessarily become available for re-use by the
> OS, unless you trim either with fstrim on a periodic basis, or by
> mounting it with the "discard" attribute (but only if the drive
> supports trim, otherwise, lost data). This is kinda sorta like issues
> with fragmentation on the old MSDOS drive format.

Earlier Linux kernel had known problems with the "discard" mount option,
some earlier drives also had a very inferior implementation of TRIM,
resulting in very poor performance.

But all this has been fixed, both on the side of the Linux kernel (no
longer issueing TRIM for every deleted sector but queueing multiple
TRIMs into one big) and on the firmware side of the SSDs.

I see no problem in using "discard" with a recent kernel and a modern
SSD.

Grüße,
Sven.

--