Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 08:31:50PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed LXDE on a no-X, no-desktop virgin network Wheezy 64bit
> install with non-free software allowed, and on the next boot it went
> into lightdm. The only thing I could find that installed and required
> lightdm was LXDE. I uninstalled LXDE, installed Xfce, installed
> whatever bestows startx, and bang, X from the CLI command line, no *dm
> needed.

I think you should learn to use aptitude to look-into Debian's
resources.  Here are the answer by running aptitude.

> 1) Am I correct that Debian's LXDE package installs lightdm?

It depends on what yopu mean by "LXDE package".

If you mean "task-lxde-desktop", yes it is "depends".

If you mean "lxde", practically yes since it is "recommends".

  Homepage: https://launchpad.net/lightdm
  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LightDM/

> 3) Is there a way to turn off LXDE's install of lightdm?

If you chose "lxde", you install without recommends.  That is easy with
aptitude and apt-gey can do that via command line.  Read the manual
pages of them.

> The whole reason I'm switching from Xubuntu to Debian is to get away
> from both Plymouth and *dm. Fortunately, I find LXDE desireable, but no
> way do I find it necessary.

You can go less with bare Openbox window manager :-)

Osamu