Re: Does LXDE really require lightdm?

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014, David Dušanić wrote:
22.06.2014, 02:31, "Steve Litt" <slitt@troubleshooters.com>:
Hi all,

I installed LXDE on a no-X, no-desktop virgin network Wheezy 64bit
install with non-free software allowed, and on the next boot it went
into lightdm. The only thing I could find that installed and required
lightdm was LXDE. I uninstalled LXDE, installed Xfce, installed
whatever bestows startx, and bang, X from the CLI command line, no *dm
needed.

1) Am I correct that Debian's LXDE package installs lightdm?

2) Does that come from the LXDE project, or is it a Debian thing?

3) Is there a way to turn off LXDE's install of lightdm?

The whole reason I'm switching from Xubuntu to Debian is to get away
from both Plymouth and *dm. Fortunately, I find LXDE desireable, but no
way do I find it necessary.

I am sure it is just a recommends, so install it without:

*apt-get install --no-install-recommends <package>*

and in case you don't want to guess, run first

 $ apt-cache depends lxde

(or whatever package besides lxde...)

Also, *lxde* is a metapackage. Meta packages usually come with a ton
of recommended packages by Debian to facilitate installs for the
user, you can even switch it off in apt for all packages you want to
install.

...and thereby assume responsibility for any subsequent difficulties
that stem from having changed a sensible default for new users, yes.

-wes