Re: Installation media

On Tue 17 Jun 2014 at 17:34:58 +0200, roberto wrote:

> On Monday, June 16, 2014, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
> >
> > You will arrive at a screen asking for the device to use as the root
> > file system. This is the partition you have installed Debian to. I have
> >
> >         /dev/sda1
> >         /dev/sda2
> >         /dev/sda5
> >         /dev/sdc1
> >
> > I know /dev/sda1 has Windows on it and can guess /dev/sdc1 is the USB
> > stick. /dev/sda2 is the extended partition. By elimination it's
> > /dev/sda5. There are other ways of proceeding to make a decision on what
> > is the root file system.
> >
> > There is only one thing you want on the next screen - "Reinstall the
> > GRUB boot loader". In my case I would choose /dev/sda when asked.
>

> Thanks. I just did so but then I just didn't received any message at all.
> is this ok?

I would highlight and activate /dev/sda5 entry with <Enter>. There are
five options now. One is "Reinstall the GRUB boot loader". Another is
"Execute a shell in /dev/sda5". I'd choose the first to activate. This
brings up a screen asking for the device for boot loader installation.

If you didn't see any of this you have a rogue installer. :)

> I also tried to open a shell and when inside the shell provided under the
> rescue mode I run the command:
>
> #grub-install --root-directory=/   /dev/sda
>
> Because the mount point of my linux partition /dev/sda1 is /

The correct option is "--boot-directory". "--root-directory" disappeared
some years ago but should still be acted on. That's not the cause of
your problem though.

   --boot-directory=/

will put GRUB's files in /grub. That's ok because GRUB now knows where
to look for them. But I wouldn't do it. It is "normal" to have the files
in /boot/grub and this will happen by not using "--boot-directory" at
all. That is, do

   grub-install /dev/sda

The problem with what you have done is that /grub does not contain
grub.cfg so GRUB has no idea where the kernel, initrd and root partition
are. That is why you get the GRUB prompt. At it you can give it the
data it requires but we'll not go there unless we have to.

Keeping to my example above I would "Execute a shell in /dev/sda5". Then
type

   grub-install /dev/sda

followed by

   update-grub

With the second command you should see osprober discovering where the
kernels and initrds are.

> It went without problems, no errors reported.
> I halted the system, booted again without the usb-stick, and again I
> receive the "grub>" prompt.

Remove the stick. Switch to a console with ALT-F2. Type "reboot".