Re: Installation media

2014/06/18 0:35 "roberto" <roberto03@gmail.com>:

> On Monday, June 16, 2014, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
>>
>> > Then the only option I had was to repeat the entire installation, under
>> > this "Resue Mode".
>> > Why should I repeat the installation?
>>
>> It only looks that way because you will (at the start) see the same
>> screens you saw when you installed. The environment is being set up to
>> allow a rescue to take place. Have faith, continue!
>>
>> You will arrive at a screen asking for the device to use as the root
>> file system. This is the partition you have installed Debian to. I have
>>
>>         /dev/sda1
>>         /dev/sda2
>>         /dev/sda5
>>         /dev/sdc1
>>
>> I know /dev/sda1 has Windows on it and can guess /dev/sdc1 is the USB
>> stick. /dev/sda2 is the extended partition. By elimination it's
>> /dev/sda5. There are other ways of proceeding to make a decision on what
>> is the root file system.
>>
>> There is only one thing you want on the next screen - "Reinstall the
>> GRUB boot loader". In my case I would choose /dev/sda when asked.
>

> Thanks. I just did so but then I just didn't received any message at all. is this ok?

I don't remember for sure that this is the case here, but "No news is good news." is a long-standing tradition in the *nix world.

Did you try rebooting at this point?

> I also tried to open a shell and when inside the shell provided under the rescue mode I run the command:
>
> #grub-install --root-directory=/   /dev/sda

We wish this approach were reliable, but /dev/sda at boot-time, within grub, and /dev/sda from bash/dash are often two different drives. If you have more than one drive, of course. I don't remember. Do you have more than one drive?

Anyway there seems to be some sort of trick to using grub-install. For some people it works fine. For others (myself included) it doesn't.

Also, I've had some of the tools assume that being run on an apparently correct setup indicated that the admin wanted some other configuration. And then the tools go to great pains to automatically configure something I very definitely did not want.

> Because the mount point of my linux partition /dev/sda1 is /
>
> It went without problems, no errors reported.
> I halted the system, booted again without the usb-stick, and again I receive the "grub>" prompt.

And I'm wondering whether you might have fixed the boot configuration when re-installing from the menu, just to mess it up from the rescue mode command line.

--
Joel Rees
Computer memory is just fancy paper, and the cpu is just a fancy pen.