Re: systemd (was ... Re: Article on swift, responsive computers)

On Wed 18 Jun 2014 at 12:05:34 +0200, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

> Le 18.06.2014 11:24, Brian a écrit :
> >
> >No getty is ever spawned on tty7 so it is always available for X.
>
> According to /etc/inittab, but does systemd still use this file?

   brian@desktop:~$ dpkg -S inittab
   sysvinit: /usr/share/man/man5/inittab.5.gz
   sysvinit: /usr/share/sysvinit/inittab

> >It cannot be run on tty6 because systemd keeps this as an emergency
> >tty.
>
> How is it defined? It seems to be exactly the same as for all TTYs
> in inittab?
> Also, I thought that there was some informations in inittab about
> were xorg instances will be spawned, but it seems that I was wrong,
> so do someone knows were their TTYs are defined, if they are anyway?

I do not know whether "emergency" was the correct word to use. However,
to make it clear:

   ReserveVT=

       Takes a positive integer. Identifies one virtual terminal that shall
   unconditionally be reserved for autovt@.service activation (see above).
   The VT selected with this option will be marked busy unconditionally, so
   that no other subsystem will allocate it. This functionality is useful
   to ensure that, regardless of how many VTs are allocated by other
   subsystems, one login "getty" is always available. Defaults to 6 (in
   other words, there will always be a "getty" available on Alt-F6.). When
   set to 0, VT reservation is disabled.

The source is logind.conf(5)