Re: systemd (was ... Re: Article on swift, responsive computers)

On Tue 17 Jun 2014 at 23:10:08 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

> According to my understanding from the discussions I've read: under
> systemd, if you run 'startx' with no options from vt1, it will cause X
> to launch on vt1 - whereas under sysvinit, doing that will cause X to
> launch on vt7.

Not quite. Under systemd a getty and login prompt will be spawned on
tty1 on booting. The remaining ttys are free. startx will bring up X on
the first available free tty, which is tty2.

If you did ALT-F2 before starting X on tty1 the first available free tty
is tty3 because there is now a getty process on tty2.

No getty is ever spawned on tty7 so it is always available for X. If
there are login prompts on tty1 to tty5 X will be on tty7. It cannot be
run on tty6 because systemd keeps this as an emergency tty.