Re: Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce GUI shutdown and restart do not work

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:55 AM, John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell
<johnandsara2@cox.net> wrote:
> why would you comple ALSA ?  it has been pretty solid in past versions  (to
> support basic features on all cards in hardware compatibility list) and has
> always been pre-compiled !

Because the version provided didn't support my card with sufficient
functionality, and the latest stable version available in source form
did. This is what new versions are for.

> why would you purge GNOME many apps use it and you don't need the gnome
> toolkit, adn you to run the desktop to use downloaded gnome apps ?

Not sure what you mean here. I can still run something like
gnome-system-monitor (although I'm on the lookout for a better program
for graphing CPU, RAM, network over time - if all else fails I may
have to just write my own), as I have all the lower-level libraries,
and Xfce runs those apps just fine.

But more importantly: you haven't explained why any of this has, or
might have, impact on a shutdown problem.

ChrisA