Re: Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce GUI shutdown and restart do not work

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> The screen ends up grey, with the system hanged, resulting in (when
> that happens), an abortion shutdown - holding down the power switch
> for the 12 seconds (or whatever), which results in (amongst other
> things), on next bootup, fsck-ing of the HDD, due to a "not properly
> shutdown" scenario.
>
> So, the only way that the system can be orderly shutdown or rebooted,
> is to go to a console (<CTRL><ALT<F1>), log in as superuser, then run
> "shutdown -<h|r> now".
>
> I believe that someone else has previously raised this problem, on
> this list, but I could not find the applicable message(s).

I also have this issue, actually, although I've not raised it on this
list. (My system is a hacked-up mess that started out as Debian
Squeeze with a few bits and bobs from either Testing or Unstable, and
then I did a mostly-clean dist-upgrade to Wheezy, followed by
compiling my own ALSA and a few other things, installing Xfce, purging
GNOME, and generally making a mess of the system.) In order to reboot
cleanly, which I try to avoid as much as I possibly can, I grab a
terminal and "sudo shutdown -h now", and let it do its stuff; then SSH
in from another computer (not sure if any of the consoles are
available) and "sudo reboot", followed by powering off at the BIOS
screen (or just letting him reboot, as the case may be).

Will be interested to hear any solutions posted.

ChrisA