Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce GUI shutdown and restart do not work

Hello.

In using Debian 7.5 amd64 xfce, I have been unable to get the GUI
shutdown and restart functionalities to work.

The screen ends up grey, with the system hanged, resulting in (when
that happens), an abortion shutdown - holding down the power switch
for the 12 seconds (or whatever), which results in (amongst other
things), on next bootup, fsck-ing of the HDD, due to a "not properly
shutdown" scenario.

So, the only way that the system can be orderly shutdown or rebooted,
is to go to a console (<CTRL><ALT<F1>), log in as superuser, then run
"shutdown -<h|r> now".

I believe that someone else has previously raised this problem, on
this list, but I could not find the applicable message(s).

I have tried to use the list archive Search facility linked from
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/
but, that searches all of the Debian lists, and apparently can not
search the archive for a single list, and so I could not easily find
the applicable message(s) through that method, and I had gone back a
thoousand or so messages, in my stored messages from the list, trying
to find the previous, related, message(s).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."