Re: Preseeded setting on openssh-server ignored

On 6/14/2014 2:06 PM, Patrick Chkoreff wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote, On 06/14/2014 01:04 PM:
>
>> If you just want purely random passwords, though, you might try
>> makepasswd instead. pwgen is more biased towards generating
>> distinguishable, memorable passwords instead of truly random ones.
>
> Here's a way to generate a *truly* random password that is *also* memorable:
>
> http://diceware.com
>
> Instead of using your computer to generate allegedly random bits, you
> use five six-sided dice to generate truly random bits.
>

> -- Patrick

Not good at all.  With 5 dice, you have 6^5 or 7,776 possible
combinations.  Just figuring 5 upper and lower case characters and
numbers, you have 62^5 or 916,132,832 (more if you add special
characters).  Even a 3 alphanumeric (upper and lower) case character
password has 238,328 possible combinations.

I wouldn't even consider this a weak password.  It's much worse than
that.  The fact you can have combinations of words doesn't add that much
security, especially if someone thinks you're using the diceware list.

Jerry