Re: Resizing LVM issue

Miroslav Skoric:

> Two questions:
>
> 1. What would you do if you need more space in /tmp and you know you
> have some spare space in /home or else, but do not want to
> reinstall?

If it's only temporarily, I would probably do a bind-mount. Just create
~/tmp-tmp, as root cp -a /tmp ~/tmp-tmp/, mount -o bind ~/tmp-tmp/tmp
/tmp. (Sorry for the many tmps. :))

But I never had that issue in several years running sid on a laptop with
4GB RAM and /tmp as tmpfs.

> 2. Wouldn't be nice if resizing routines/commands/programs/... show
> calculated time they would need for such an operation, so a user
> could decide whether to continue or cancel?

They would do that if there was a way to know in advance. I don't think
it's possible to do more than a wild guess which I assume could still be
off by a factor of two or more.

J.
--
When standing at the top of beachy head I find the rocks below very
attractive.