Re: ntp and multiple OSes

On Jun 12, 2014, at 11:11 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
>> Rick Thomas wrote:
>>> Have you tried "rdate -np" ?  It does the same thing (pretty much)
>>> as your "ntpdate -qu"
>>
>> The big problem with ntpdate and rdate is that they step the clock.
>> That is only appropriate at boot time.
>
> But -q means not to actually set the clock. What's the recommended way
> to compare the times of this computer and some remote one? `rdate
> -npv` seems to do the job (-v is needed to show subsecond difference),
> but you're grouping both of them under the same non-recommendation. Is
> there a better way?
>
> ChrisA

If you want to compare the local clock with a remote system's clock (often called "skew"), the best way I know is with "ntpdate -qu". The "offset" it mentions is the difference between your clock and the remote clock.  Sadly, "rdate -npv" doesn't give that information.

I don't know of any way to display the skew between the system's "hardware clock" and the same computer's "system clock" unless you are willing to write some C code.  Does anybody on the list know of anything that fits this bill?

Enjoy!

Rick