Re: ntp and multiple OSes

On Monday, June 9, 2014 4:10:01 PM UTC+5:30, Bzzzz wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 21:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Rusi Mody wrote:
>

> > Rebooting one and then another causes errors of
> > "superblock time in future"
>

> Either, as you've been told, you're not using the same
> setup (UTC|local) everywhere or this machine has a large
> positive clock drift (ntp can take up to 11 minutes to sync).

I am a bit mystified by what I find:
Ive removed ntp and trying to only use ntpdate

There is one config-file /etc/default/ntpdate:

$ cat ntpdate
# The settings in this file are used by the program ntpdate-debian, but not
# by the upstream program ntpdate.

# Set to "yes" to take the server list from /etc/ntp.conf, from package ntp,
# so you only have to keep it in one place.
NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF=yes

# List of NTP servers to use  (Separate multiple servers with spaces.)
# Not used if NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF is yes.
NTPSERVERS="0.debian.pool.ntp.org 1.debian.pool.ntp.org 2.debian.pool.ntp.org 3.debian.pool.ntp.org"

# Additional options to pass to ntpdate
NTPOPTIONS=""

So servers are not used because NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF is yes

But I have no ntp and therefore no /etc/ntp.conf

Just in case... I removed both ntp and ntpdate and reinstalled ntp
Still the same.

For now I am commenting out the line:

NTPDATE_USE_NTP_CONF=yes

However if someone has a better idea/explanation that'd be nice!