Re: ntp and multiple OSes

Rick Thomas wrote:
> Chris Davies wrote:
> > For day-to-day usage I would agree with your recommendation of ntp
> > to ntpdate. However, I have yet to find a useful alternative to
> > the very convenient "ntpdate -qu {server}". Is there one?
>
> Have you tried "rdate -np" ?  It does the same thing (pretty much)
> as your "ntpdate -qu"

The big problem with ntpdate and rdate is that they step the clock.
That is only appropriate at boot time.

Stepping the clock has the potential for all kinds of clock stepping
issues.  Mostly when cron has a task a exactly some time and that time
never hits because the time stepped past it.  Or the task runs twice
because the time stepped back and hit it again.

Why do you need to step the clock?  It is better to install ntp and
adjust the rate of the clock so that every tick is seen but adjusted
to be in time with the rest of the world.

Bob