Re: When bug fixes are applied on stable ?

On Jo, 12 iun 14, 08:31:46, Prunk Dump wrote:

> Yes but, as a network administrator, I'am front of a problem with
> debian Stable : the distribution is not very tested for entreprise
> where we use complex tools (ldap, kerberos, nfs4, ...) and eccentric
> configurations ( shared home, shared wine prefix, complex pam auth,
> ...). So In one year of production I was confronted to some critical
> bugs difficult to fix. Here some examples :

[snip examples]

Which is why it's so important to test your setup against testing and
invest time in getting the bugs fixed *before* it is released.

> One solution,  suggested by Slavko, is to create my own repository and
> correct the bugs myself. Maybe it is what I will do since it is very
> simple in Debian to rebuild a package. But I need before to answer to
> two questions :
>
> 1) What version number I need to give to my local packages so that
> they will be updated immediately but overwrited on next stable release
> ? Is gdm-3.4.1-8-r1 authorized in Debian ? How change the package
> version when rebuilding ? With dch ?

Since this is a private repository you have quite a lot of liberty, but
I'd try to keep it as close as possible to Debian recommended practices.
Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd suggest for a package in
stable with a (more or less intrusive) patch applied to use something
like (using package gdm3 as example):

    3.4.1-8+local1

You could use anything (or nothing) instead of 'local', but you will
probably want to keep it short. Do append a number or date or something
that *always* increases, in case you need +local2, +local3 versions
(e.g. only the patch is updated).

If you create local backports of testing or unstable packages I strongly
recommend using usual backports versioning policy, e.g. something like

    3.8.4-6~bpo70+1

The special meaning of '~' ensures 3.8.4-6 is *higher*, so that if
Jessie releases with this version upgrades will work properly. This is
also a reason to avoid if possible backporting packages from unstable,
because it may happen that those packages never migrate to testing and
you end up with a local version like

    3.8.4-9~bpo70+1

that is higher and you need special handling for upgrading to Jessie.

> 2) How priority is sets on package repository ? When I add
> debian-backports the packages are not automatically installed but on
> http://fai-project.org/download they are. How is this works ?

The main reference for priorities is apt_preferences(5), but in short,
the backports repository has a priority of 100 (same as any installed
package), which means you have to "force" installation of backports
(with the '-t wheezy-backports' switch to apt-get), but upgrades with
new *backports* will happen automatically. I'm guessing the fai
repository doesn't have any special priority, so will be assigned the
default (500), but 'apt-cache policy' will tell.

Hope this explains,
Andrei