Re: Sound configuration failure in debian amd64...

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 23:34:46 -0400 (EDT), Tapas Das wrote:

> Hello
> this isTapas Das.....
> I am a debian user for the last three years....first it was 32-bit
> debian squeeze 6.0.0...
> and now using amd64 version on P8H61-MLX motherboard (ASUS) with intel
> core i3 processor.
>
> The sound could not be configured....it was not configured just after
> installation.....nor could be done by installing various libraries and
> development packages available at the repositories. I am trying these
> things for several months, but no good.
>
> The output generated by 'hwinfo' as superuser is as follows :
>
> root@debian-1:/home/tapas# hwinfo --sound
> 14: PCI 1b.0: 0403 Audio device
>   [Created at pci.318]
>   UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_1c20
>   Unique ID: u1Nb.E2yA1ceTa70
>   SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0
>   SysFS BusID: 0000:00:1b.0
>   Hardware Class: sound
>   Model: "Intel Audio device"
>   Vendor: pci 0x8086 "Intel Corporation"
>   Device: pci 0x1c20
>   SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
>   SubDevice: pci 0x8445
>   Revision: 0x05
>   Driver: "HDA Intel"
>   Driver Modules: "snd_hda_intel"
>   Memory Range: 0xfe400000-0xfe403fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>   IRQ: 22 (781 events)
>   Module Alias: "pci:v00008086d00001C20sv00001043sd00008445bc04sc03i00"
>   Driver Info #0:
>     Driver Status: snd_hda_intel is active
>     Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe snd_hda_intel"
>   Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> root@debian-1:/home/tapas#
>
> Please suggest the way out.
> regards
> TAPAS DAS

What release of Debian are you running on your amd64 machine?  wheezy?
jessie?  I am not using the same sound chip that you are, but I am
using the same driver: snd_hda_intel.  The wheezy kernel's drivers were
not new enough to recognize my sound chip, and I couldn't get sound to
work on my machine under wheezy either.  But I found a work-around for
the problem.  Create (as root) a file under /etc/modprobe.d.  The file
name can be anything you like, but it must have an extension of ".conf".
I called mine

   /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf

In this file, add the following line:

   options snd_hda_intel model=auto

Save the file and exit the editor.  Now shutdown and reboot.  This worked
for me.  I don't know if it will work for you or not.  Since then, I've
upgraded my system to jessie, and the newer kernels on up-to-date jessie
systems have an snd_hda_intel driver that is new enough to recognize my
hardware.  I no longer need to use the above option.  But it was necessary
to use the above option when I was running wheezy.  Let me know if this
works for you.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :