Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "xfce"

Following
with some struggle I was finally able to get my Canon printer
working with debian Jessie 64 bit.

[For years Ive found that 64-bit + Canon is a hopeless case
and many sites imply the same]

However there is a minor nuisance.

Running the dialog for the printer -- captstatusui --
gives me the message

Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "xfce",

in hundreds takes a long while to start and slows my machine down.

My vague guess is that many i386 packages had to be installed and
at least two amd64 had to be removed because of conflicts:
  gnome-keyring p11-kit