Handy ls: was Should I install chkrootkit?

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 01:35:15 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-06-09 at 01:08 +0200, Filip wrote:
> > $ ls -lA
>
> I recommend to add the h option.
>
> $ ls -hAl
>
> t or d sometimes are useful too, but by default I tend to use -hAl.
> Mnemonic, HAL, resp. HAL 9000 is the computer in the movie "2001: A
> Space Odyssey".

A few I use a lot are:

ls -ltr   # lists by date, latest last, us a or A to find all
ls -lSr   # lists by size, biggest last
ls -ldF * # doesn't recurse, lists just this directory

And the following can find everything smaller than 50M and bigger than
10M in this directory and all descendants:

find . -size +10M -size -20M -exec ls -lh {} +

I use the preceding all the time, just before backing up, to find those
immense files that were put in the wrong places (downloaded distros
mostly). By having both a top and bottom of the range, once you're
done with one range, you can ignore files from that range and look at
the next range, so start with 10000M to 500M, then 500M to 100M, then
100M to 50M, etc, until it's no longer worth pruning your tree.

SteveT