Re: Abusive, Insulting and Off Topic e-mails do not belong on debian-user or any other Debian Mailing list.

On 6/9/14, Mike McGinn <mikemcginn@mcginnweb.net> wrote:
> On Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:32:20 Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> On 8/06/2014 10:58 AM, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> > In the past few days, there have been many insulting, abusive and off
>> > topic messages sent to this mailing list.

Agreed.

>> For the public record, I need to make it clear that posts made by an
>> aggrieved other user of this mailing list have no merit.

To adults, no, you don't "need to make it clear...". It is blindingly
obvious to adults that childishness is childishness, and that
vidictiveness is vidictiveness, and racism is racism, etc, etc.

> Are we still in preschool? All about how aggrieved who, who insulted
> who, he took my truck ...
> Get  over it.
> You are ruining this for those of us who are adults.

Perhaps we need a d-uncensored-unmoderated-adults-only@... ?

I know I would subscribe and treat that as what I thought offtopic-
was meant to be...

I am actually able to read a caution (against myself) or an insult or
an impersonation and remind myself of the half a vertebrae that I have
and choose to ignore the immature/ racist/ insulting/ offensive/
complaining/ etc words.

THEY'RE JUST WORDS!

So Mike, I agree with you!

I am happy for Lisi to point out in a nicely succinct way that indeed
what someone said was racist. I am happy for Jerry to defend his
honour SIX times in a row. I really don't give a firetruck myself and
could not be bothered most of the time to ever respond in these ways
at all. But I'm happy that those who care, feel confident enough to
say what they believe needs to be said. And occasionally I back
someone up when I feel that a back-you-up comment will help to
strengthen someone or others on the list, to help the overall ambiance
so those who are not so robust as I, feel free and confident to speak
their truth. This is what I strive for.

This is all simple human nature, and the journeys that each person
goes through, and a community will thrive or die or languish based on
how people generally treat each other.

I've embarrassed myself no end, in hindsight. To the point where I
felt compelled to apologize to someone offlist. I don't blame anyone
but myself for everything I've ever said - immaturity is what it is
and I hope that folks around here forgive me.

But I do feel very sad to see Captain COC prance in and threaten the
end of our mailing lists because of a few "bad eggs".

Truly, we are consenting to, no actually DEMANDING (in various cases) a
Cotton Wool (TM) (R) (C) environment.

Do we really want to circumvent people's journeys in life?

Do we really want to say that the only possible expressions on _our_
lists are to be candy-coated sweetness and love and light filled
rainbows of angel breath?

Do we really want to deny the opportunity to each other to receive any
tough love whatsoever, and those opportunities which follow on from
tough love and egregious words, such as mutual support and genuine
care for one another - which expressions always follow. ?????

Without trial by fire, we cannot see the true mettle of others on the
list. It is only through the trials that we get to see other sides of
each other, either sides we don't like or sides we do like! This is
where strength of relationships actually arises. But "the community"
seems to be pushing blindly into a bland corporate-style perfect
utopian tech only thing. Bleh!

I've been told by two people in the last 8 months that they've
killfiled me. So be it. That is their free will, their right, and it
was their right to tell me so.

I am neither upset, nor gleeful, merely ambivalent. I say that those
individuals have probably not heard me. But then I say that I most
likely spoke in less than optimal ways to communicate any 'useful'
concepts in those instances that lead to those individuals to killfile
me. So be it. I wish I could do better and bring nothing but cutting
truth and insightful data to everyone all the time.

That's not possible. Why? Because I am human. I am just me. Just a
below-average kinda person in many ways with an above-average ego in
too many ways.

Peace,
Zenaan