Killfiling: was Should I install chkrootkit?

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 15:02:17 -0400
Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

> On 6/7/2014 11:34 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Jun 2014 09:36:39 +0100

> > Wow, Lisi, I didn't catch that. So many insults, so little time.
> >
> > Needless to say, latinfo@vcn.bc.ca becomes my fourteenth
> > Debian-users member to be procmailed out of existence, and in
> > his/her case it's not just Debian-Users email, it's all email. I've
> > got no time for Ku-Klux-Klan types.
> >

> <snip>
>
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> > Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
> >

> The problem with killfiling people like this is you often lose good
> comments in a discussion.

One man's opinion: s/often/once in a great while/

My observation is that most people issuing personal insults have less
to offer technically than the guys who stick to the facts and forget
the personalities.

Also, occasionally you run into somebody you believe to be so
reprehensible, that even if he was Linus and Larry and Guido combined,
you still don't want to hear his BS.

Also, as I was just (rightly) reminded offlist, if one chooses not to
killfile the guy, one has a responsibility not to start or continue
personal arguments with the guy: Just ignore his BS and absorb his tech
info.

> I can put up with a few bad types - I just don't let them bother me.
> But the good information they often have is worth a few idiots to me.
>
> A perfect example: I remember back a few months ago someone said they
> killfiled Ralf.  And while I don't always agree with Ralf or what he
> says, I've learned a lot from him (as well as others in this
> newsgroup).

LOL, Yeah, Ralf's an exception. Three times I almost killfiled him, and
every time I decided against it because his tech chops are worth a few
insults. The very last time, I was about a minute from procmailing him,
when he gave me the solution to a problem nobody else could figure out,
and saved me several hours of work. But Ralf's unusual, and one heck
of an excellent source of information.

> Maybe I'm different because I'm not anywhere near a Debian expert,
> and am always trying to learn.

I bet 75% of the list is in that same position. I know I am.

Anyway, the only point I was making is, if somebody constantly annoys
me and I can't help continuing the argument, am I doing either
myself or the list a favor continuing to view his posts?

Thanks,

SteveT