Re: cryptsetup problem

On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 03:34:04 +1000
Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:

> Doing a GPG backup of the closed crypt volume would not
> compress well.  Obviously the more /real/ data there is on the
> open crypt volume, the larger a GPG backup file will be.

Indeed, it is very bad practice to bit backup (except
if you're a forensic)…

> Besides,
> this is just for example, backing up with GPG might not be a good
> idea (tm).  Although if you use duplicity [1], it might be an
> excellent idea, but I don't know enough about that yet.

One backup pgm I find _very_ practical, when huge tapes
aren't required, is BackupPC (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/).
You can even backup a whole Linux system.

It compresses all files, symlink them when they haven't
change from one backup to another, you get a nice http
interface (no need of a http svr) where even users can
backup/restore themselves part or all of their files,
the way it acts allow you to keep backups for long periods
of time, etc…

It can also use the rsync method to keep network exchanges
quite low.

Note: for your partition(s), using /dev/urandom isn't a problem.
      Pseudo random generator under Linux is not that bad and
      its output fit your needs.

--
<G33kPowaah> In fact, the difference between Linux and Windows
             is Linux is like a fox, you need to tame it,