Re: cryptsetup problem

On 06/02/2014 03:34 PM Andrew McGlashan wrote:
On 3/06/2014 5:25 AM, ken wrote:
Are you aware of FOSS 'wipe'?

Yes, thanks Ken.  I watched wipe go through clearing an SSH drive when
setting up a quick test of Kali Linux on a new laptop.  It was slow, but
it worked -- when it finished, Kali had trouble allocating /itself/
enough root file system space, so I had to manually partition and try again.

Anyway, wipe is best run early.  I'll keep wipe in mind and the other
tools too if the /dev/zero write gives more grief.

It's still a bit too early to tell, but the /dev/zero writing is okay so
far, but a little less than an hour in as I type ....  for the first
crypt volume.

Cheers and Thanks
A.

It would be better to write /dev/random or /dev/urandom than /dev/zero... if you want to stay with whatever it is you're using.